Monday, October 26, 2009

Making the New Old Again

As I've previously posted, I was lucky enough to be at Yankee Stadium for Game 1 of the ALDS and ALCS this year. It was great to be back in the Bronx in October creating new memories and tradition at the new Stadium.

The games were fun and the atmosphere exciting, but it wasn't like past playoffs I've been to at Yankee Stadium. I have been to Game 1 at Yankee Stadium of each playoff series since 1995. That puts me at at least 7 series and 6 World Series Games. While that may not be as extensive experience as some, it is more playoffs games than some will be at in a lifetime, and I know how lucky I am.

It pains me to say it, but the new Yankee Stadium does not have the intensity, electricity, and overall craziness of the old one. Going to the old Stadium was like going on a pilgrimage to the holy land, a religious experience that took on its own meaning. The parking areas were packed 2 hours before first-pitch, grills blazing, footballs being thrown, and cool crisp air surrounding you. Of course me and my sister spent half the time in the car doing our homework, but you felt how special being there was.

Now it seems like there is little of the overall tradition going on. I know there are people who grill at games, but now the parking lots are dispersed all over with the new mall and construction in the area. There is no unity, no throngs of people walking down River Ave in Yankee jerseys, bringing their passion and excitement with them.

At Game 1 of the ALCS this year, there was one fan who was constantly yelling at everyone to get up. cheer, clap their hands, and make noise. Granted, it became pretty annoying after a while, but no one reacted. Me and my dad stood a couple times, but not as many as the man would have liked. All this apathy would then drive the man to say "You all suck! What kind of fans are you!?" And while I am i die-hard Yankee fan who resented his statement, he did open my eyes to something.

When the game was at critical points, such as when the Yankees had two runners on with two outs, the crowd remained seated and quiet. It was not until later in the count, say 3-0 against the batter, when the crowd finally woke up and got on their feet. I mentioned something to my dad, and he said "Yeah, they are waiting for something to happen."

At the old Stadium there was no such thing as "waiting for something to happen." The fans made it happen. If there were two runners on and even a hint the pitcher was on the ropes, fans got loud. I remember getting up as soon as a batter came to the plate, and with every pitch we lived and died. We sighed for called strikes and foul balls or cheered for each ball out of the strike zone. We urged our team on, helping as much as fans could. Now they wait, and hope, rising only when things seem the most promising.

It was discouraging, and somewhat saddening to see the transformation. Maybe it is connected to the ridiculous price of tickets at the new Stadium. I know that suggests fans who can afford more expensive tickets are not as passionate, which I do not subscribe to, but it begs the question: if that's not the reason, then what has caused this change? Could it be the new open air design, letting more sound out instead of keeping it in the Stadium?

I doubt it. If there was noise then maybe, but my complaint is about the total lack of noise and awareness in the Stadium. From watching Game 6 on TV last night, I became a little more encouraged and hopeful. The fans seemed pretty excited and into it, getting rather loud at several points. It was certainly closer to the old way of the Bronx.

Maybe it is just the fact I was at two early games in each series. They weren't pivotal games, full of build-up, intensity, and pressure. I'm hoping things pick up at The Stadium as the Yankees welcome the Phillies for the World Series.

Beyond the great moments which took place at the old House that Ruth Built, Yankee Stadium was a fan haven, a tough place to play, and an even tougher place to win in the playoffs. I hope this new Stadium can offer the same as we begin the first World Series in 6 years and try to celebrate on our new field.

I know some will read this and say, "Wait a second, he doesn't know anything! The Yankees boast the best home-record in baseball this year!" And they're right. The Yankees have been stellar at home this year and undefeated in the playoffs there (knock on wood). I only submit that we, as fans of our team, can do better, make it tougher for opposing players. We want them to come into the Stadium feeling like they are already at a disadvantage, as they used to at the Old Stadium.

Some may say, well that was the old way, this is the new way. Maybe so, but the old Stadium had a lot of winners and championships. There are a lot worse traditions we could try to carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment