Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Road Ends Here

Well it looks like we’ve come to the end of the “Road to the Final Four.” This may be the toughest post I’ve had to write yet, but I’m hoping it finally helps give me some closure on this season. It has taken me a long time to get to this point and to be willing to talk about the final moments of the Orange tournament run. Most of the last week has been filled with “lets not talk about it.”

Last Thursday I sat in front of the TV and watched in crystal clear HD as a magical, fun, and exciting season come to a crashing halt all too soon. This was the team bound for the Final Four. Ready to duke it out with a talented Kansas State, but ultimately take it’s rightful place in Indianapolis. This was their year...right?

Well apparently Butler didn’t get the memo. Instead, they outplayed, out-hustled, and and out-smarted a Syracuse team that looked like a shoe-in for the final after laying the smack down on Gonzaga less than a week earlier.

Well as I sat there watching Syracuse dig out of the hole and go ahead by 4, I refrained from getting too excited, knowing we weren’t out of the woods, but thinking the magician was about to pull another rabbit out of his hat like we had seen all season. Only this time instead of finding the bottom of the net several consecutive times and forcing turnovers, they turned the ball over possession after possession and gave the game right back to the Bulldogs.

I sat there afterwards wondering what to do with myself. Was this really going to be the way it ended? Another loss in the Sweet Sixteen, ending the season a week too short. The next couple days were worthless. I didn’t turn on a TV or listen to my usual ESPN podcasts for fear of seeing rerun of the highlights or listening to pundits talking about a lackluster Syracuse squad.

It hurt almost as much as the massacre against Oklahoma, except I had a front row seat in Memphis last year and had just drove 1,000 miles in two days to watch my Orange. But this year I had higher hopes, thinking this would be another convincing win on the road to Indy. I was filled with butterflies and excitement all day, wearing my bright orange dress shirt to work and telling everyone who would listen how Syracuse was going to do their thing that night.

The one safe place for me to visit on the Web was Syracuse.com, home of the Syracuse Post-Standard. While they covered the loss, they were crushed just as much as me and showed compassion in their coverage. I watched the press conference clips of Coach Boeheim, Andy Rautins, and Wes Johnson. I saw the photos of Arinze Onuaku, the biggest man in the room, hiding in a locker with a towel hanging in front of his face. I read about a team in tears, heard the hurt in their voices.

In addition to that, I read this blogger post and i couldn't help but laugh, especially because it fit me so perfectly and all the emotions I went through in those 24 hours. As terrible as I felt, the truth was I knew how much more these players were hurting. They felt they had let down an entire city down and falling short of anything but the Final Four classified the season as a failure.

It may have ended too soon and in tragic fashion, but this season was far from it. It was a great season. Full of amazing games, great highlights, and convincing wins over top competition, not to mention a night of 34,646 people cramming into The Dome for a game, setting a new NCAA attendance record. The team proved to the nation they were contenders, deserving of a No.1 seed.

I go crazy sitting and thinking about what could have been. If Arinze, doesn’t get hurt, the team easily makes it to Indy, overpowering everyone in Salt Lake, and probably any opponent. The fact he couldn’t even compete will probably be something that sticks with him for a long time unfortunately. All because of damn Greg Monroe.

So the fat lady sung, be it early, but she finished her verse and the Orange exited stage right. But you can’t end it all without saying thanks to the guys who made it so much fun.

Wes, I know you said you were leaning towards coming back after the tough loss, and your heart is in the right place, but we all know the truth. It’s OK. Go get yours. Thanks for stopping by, it was a blast. Andy and Arinze, you two came in with me as freshman and I watched you guys go down with injuries and come back better than ever. Arinze came back built like a house and dominated the paint. Andy came back bigger, stronger, more confident and able to shoot the lights out of the gym. He was the guy who made it go this season and it was great to watch him get fired up. I’m glad you guys stuck around. This team needed you both, and I wish you only the best.

Scoop and Joseph, this is your team next year. Kris had a breakout season this year and makes us all excited about what he will do as a starter. Scoop, honestly, you scare the hell out of me, but you make ridiculous play somehow and have some smooth moves when we need it.

Well I guess that’s that then.

Just last night I was talking to a friend about incoming freshman and the 2011 class. Syracuse basketball never gets old. Can’t wait till next November!

1 comment:

  1. I'm and emotional basket case (no pun intended) after reading this. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete